Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

Housing Options

Please find below a list of alternative housing options and assistance in sourcing affordable suitable housing.

  • Renting in the private sector – You may find available properties to rent listed in the local paper, at letting agents, or online on websites such as This could include renting a room in a shared house as well as self contained accommodation.


  • Assistance with your rent - You may be entitled to Local Housing Allowance towards the cost of privately renting.  Please check your likely entitlement before signing any tenancy to ensure the property is affordable to you.  There are online calculators to help with this such as


  • LodgingIf you are reliant on any welfare benefits you may be entitled to financial support to cover the rent if you lodge with another household. This could also include renting a room from a friend if they have a spare room available for you to rent.


  • Supported Housing There are specialist supported housing schemes in the area.    Speak to your local Housing Options Team for further information.


  • Low cost home ownershipThis often includes shared ownership whereby households can buy a share of a property and pay rent to a housing association for the remaining share. For information about the range of options available visit

Please click here for further information on a new Rent to Buy scheme which is a partnership between Wellingborough Borough Council and Greatwell Homes. 


  • Mutual Exchange – If you are a current Council or Housing Association tenant you may be able to exchange properties with another Council or Housing Association tenant. If you need more information or help with finding someone to exchange with visit for tenants in Kettering and Corby.  If you are a tenant in Wellingborough please speak to your current landlord for more information.


  • Living with family or friends Your family/ close friends may be able to offer you somewhere to live. In some cases you may be able to claim welfare benefits if they charge you a rent to stay.


  • Specialist accommodation for the elderly There are a number of Extra Care/Residential Care/Nursing Care schemes that are not advertised on Keyways. This type of housing is only available through Northamptonshire County Council and the first step is to make a referral to Adult Care.


The Borough Council of Wellingborough maintain a waiting list for two extra care schemes in their area, Langdale Court and Rosewood Court. The nominations are made following consultation with Adult Social Care and the Scheme Manager.  To enquire about this type of accommodation please contact the Borough Council of Wellingborough's Housing Options Team.

For more detailed advice about the housing options that may be available to you, please contact the Housing Options Team for your area in either Corby, Kettering, or Wellingborough.