Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

Who Can Use The Service?

Anyone who has been accepted onto the Keyways Housing Register is able to use the full service.

To apply to join the Keyways Housing Register you must be 16 years of age or over. If you are under 18 you will need a suitable guarantor if you are to take up a tenancy.  You will need to complete an application form online here or alternatively contact the Housing Options Team for your area to discuss other options on how to apply. 
The application form enables you to apply for a council or housing association rented home. You are also able to apply for low cost home ownership properties and private properties to rent from accredited landlords.

BEFORE YOU START - To complete the application you will need to provide the following;

  • Evidence of your right to reside in the UK if you are not a British Citizen
  • (e.g. passport and other relevant documents from the Home Office)
  • The National Insurance number(s) for all member(s) of your household aged 16 years and over
  • Minimum 5 years address history including telephone contact details for all previous landlords
  • Details of any former or current housing related debt for you and any other members of your household
  • Details of any criminal convictions for you and any other members of your household

Before you are offered a property you may be asked to provide further documents to support your application. We will tell you what documents to provide and a timescale on when to provide them.  All documents provided must be originals, up to date and valid. For a full list of acceptable documents contact either the Housing Options Team at the council in the area where you live or, if you do not live locally, the Housing Options Team at the council in the area where you would like to live.  If you do not fill in the application form properly it will not proceed to the next stage. The date on which the fully completed application form is registered will be the date that your application becomes active.

If you do not provide us with the documents required, your application will not be accepted onto the housing register. Once the documents are received your application will be assessed and placed in the appropriate Keyways band from the date the documents were received. Further information about the banding of applications can be found on the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page of this website.

Who cannot use the service?
You cannot use the full service if you have not completed an application form and been accepted onto the Keyways Housing Register.

There are also some people who will not by law be eligible to join the Keyways Housing Register. These are;

  • Certain people who are subject to Immigration Control under the 1996 Asylum and Immigration Act

  • Certain people from abroad who are not subject to immigration control but who are not habitually resident in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland

  • People (including members of their household) who have been guilty of unacceptable behaviour that makes them unsuitable to be a tenant.